Our story begins with Cyrus L. Baxter, who in 1937 transformed an association with Cincinnati Milacron into his own architectural firm. In his first few years, close to 90 percent of the work was for Milacron. Cy demonstrated an uncanny ability in assessing talent when he hired Jack Hodell, Jim Donnelly, and Jim Preston. Each had graduated with distinction and went on to show an artful affinity for the business. In 1966, they combined their names to form Baxter, Hodell, Donnelly, and Preston, Inc.–now known as BHDP.
The partners expanded the firm’s areas of expertise from primarily manufacturing and workplace to higher education and retail with projects for clients such as the University of Cincinnati and Federated Department Stores (now Macy’s). The year 1970 began an extremely influential partnership when BHDP completed the first of many projects for Procter & Gamble. Working closely with one of the world’s most forward-thinking companies taught us to flex our imaginations, challenge the obvious, and see human needs as the foundation to build upon.
By the time BHDP moved to our present location in downtown Cincinnati in 2002, the firm had gained a portfolio of award-winning projects and a roster of talented architectural thinkers, designers, and relationship builders.
Today we have expanded our presence and our reach. In addition to our headquarters in Cincinnati, we have offices in Columbus, OH, Raleigh, NC, and Charlotte, NC, as well as projects in 20+ countries all over the world.